Although many consider Sweetest Day to be a type of Valentine’s Day, the origins of the holiday are not actually romantic. In fact, the original intention of the holiday was to acknowledge the underprivileged in society with gifts of kindness, to let them know that they were not forgotten. Therefore, Sweetest Day is a perfect opportunity to show encouragement, to convey our support, and to send smiles to people who may feel alone. Walter Knoll Florist has the floral collections and gifts that are perfect for all of these occasions.
Why is it called Sweetest Day? Although we now use the special observance to say “you are the sweetest!” , the name was derived from the fact that the original holiday was celebrated by handing out candies and sweets to the poor and shut-in.
We asked some of our friends what some of their favorite acts of kindness were, and though we would share. To truly celebrate the true meaning of Sweetest Day, do something designed to cheer up a lonely friend or struggling neighbor.
* Mow an elderly neighbor’s lawn, then stop in for a visit.
* Bring fresh-baked goods to your favorite first responders.
* Send a bouquet of flowers to a friend who is missing their college student.
* Call a lonely friend and take them to lunch.
* Leave a grocery gift card on the windshield of a colleague struggling to make ends meet.
* Pick up a beautiful floral arrangement and bring it to the hospital front desk.
Sweetest Day is the perfect time to spread random acts of kindness throughout Saint Louis. Call Walter Knoll Florist for the ideas and inspiration you’ll need to make people smile, on this day and every day.