Somewhere in California in the 1960’s, a man gave his wife a transistor radio. When she asked him why, he responded “just because”. His kids loved the gesture so much, it began a tradition in their home to surprise other members of the family for the same reason – no reason! Pretty soon the neighborhood took notice, and the trend became a community event. 50 years later, we are here writing about “Just Because Day”, which became a national observance in 2005. The Goodwin family would likely be surprised to know how much everyone loved their holiday!
the holiday has grown beyond giving gifts, and instead represents a day to do something unexpected, to color outside the lines, or to think outside the box. You are encouraged to walk away from the mundane routine for a day, and try something completely different! On August 27, don’t forget the flowers from Walter Knoll Florist – after all, flowers make every day special!
How would you spend your day if the only goal was to be happy? Here are a few ideas we love, but you probably can think of thousands more!
* Sleep in late, and eat ice cream for breakfast.
* Drive to a town you’ve never seen before, and spend the day exploring.
* Allow yourself to purchase a guilty pleasure – just because!
* Send flowers to the teacher who most inspired you – even if you’ve been out of school for decades!
* Sign up for that dance class, book club, or movie society you’ve been thinking about.
* Send handwritten notes to your friends and family telling them why you appreciate them.
* Buy the shoes (or necklace, or shirt) that you know your spouse has been wanting to purchase.
* Give out daisies to everyone you meet, and find a reason to compliment each one of them.
* Turn your car into a karaoke competition.
Why would you do these things? Why not? Just Because Day gives you an invitation to be spontaneous, bold, and carefree – even if just for a few hours.
Scientific studies have proven that flowers make us happier – so on August 27, send flowers to those you love, and send a bouquet to yourself! Because we never need a reason to love beautiful things.
Walter Knoll Florist has been delivering gorgeous, unique floral arrangements and bouquets across Saint Louis for 125 years.